Marketing today is all about keywords whether you’re talking about SEO, PPC or Social Media. Every time you begin a task for a campaign you start with a keyword list so I thought it would be helpful to show you how you can leverage your keyword lists to make the most of your efforts.
First and foremost I think it makes sense to create a master keyword list with labels to identify what category each keyword can be used for as not all keywords work for all your focus areas. It is important to integrate your keyword efforts. For example, as you tackle your SEO challenges consider where else that keyword might be useful.
Fresh Idea’s for Finding Popular Topics/Keywords
Coming up with keyword ideas can be a daunting task. So here are a few ways you can get fresh ideas.
- Include keywords that cover customers “Pain Points”.
- Don’t forget to research your competitors.
- Browse LinkedIn Groups for topics that are generating a lot of comments.
- Look for trending topics on Twitter.
- Use Feedly to organize your feeds and see what popular blogs are talking about.
- Search Communities on Google+, this is a great source for inspiration.
- Look for people asking questions on Quora.
- Search using Google Trends.
- Look for topics that get voted up on sites such as Inbound.org and BuzzSugar.com
- Search Topsy for insights.
- Don’t limit yourself to keywords that describe your product.
- Consider frequently asked questions that people ask before they buy.
- Expand your keywords into feature descriptions.
- Think of gender specific words that may play a factor.
Find Leads Using Your Keywords
- Find Twitter Followers – Use Twitter Search to find people who are talking about your keywords.
- Find Google+ members that have your keywords in their posts and add them to your circle.
- Join LinkedIn Groups on topics that include posts or questions that include your keywords.
- Create Social Posts across all your social networks based upon your keywords.
- Create alternative content such as images and videos leveraging your keywords.
- Find and post inspirational quotes that keep with your keyword theme.
- Don’t forget to post your images on Pinterest, and videos on YouTube.
- Collect facts as you’re doing your keyword research that can be used in Infographics on the topic.
Headlines & Content
- Test variations of your keywords in your headlines.
- Create new content every time you test a keyword in PPC.
- Keep your blog posts up to date with ideas from your popular topics.
- Make Infographics that are informative and sharable. You can use something like Piktochart which makes it very easy.
Pay Per Click Campaigns
- Try new keywords on AdWords to test performance before you invest a lot of money on content.
- Use Negative Keywords to eliminate wasted ad spend.
- Experiment with Facebook Ads.
- Use Twitter to promote posts containing your keywords using Interests and Followers filters